Many people want to serve and love others, but few are able to break through the selfishness of their own hearts to do it without expecting anything in return. Here are 10 ways you can show love and serve others without expecting anything in return. They’re listed in no particular order.
1) Give compliments freely
Compliments are a great way to show love, care, and appreciation. They take minimal time yet have a large impact on the receiver. Giving a compliment can also be a step towards building relationships with people who might need love or validation. Here are 10 compliments you can give freely:
1) I’m so proud of you. 2) You’re doing an amazing job. 3) I’m glad I got the opportunity to meet you. 4) You make me happy! 5) You look really nice today! 6) I really like what you said earlier. 7) That’s such a good idea! 8 )You’re funny! 9)What an amazing cook you are! 10)What wonderful kids you have!
2) Genuinely listen
Do you ever find it difficult to listen? Maybe you feel like there’s not much of a point, or maybe you just don’t know how to fully listen. The truth is that listening is one of the most powerful ways we can show love for others. When we truly listen, we understand where someone’s coming from and what they’re going through. We can provide the encouragement they need, or simply let them know they are heard. It doesn’t matter who we’re talking to – a friend, family member, acquaintance – when we truly listen without interruption and without judgement, our words have an impact on that person. Genuinely listening takes practice and patience, but it’s so worth it!
3) Help out with no strings attached
So often we want something in return for our love and service. What if you could love someone or do a good deed without wanting anything in return? You might be surprised by the joy that comes from giving without any strings attached. Here are 10 ways you can start loving people today.
1) Greet people with a smile, hold the door open for them, or help them with their groceries.
2) Be kind to everyone you meet, including yourself! Forgive others as soon as possible when they wrong you and treat your mistakes as learning opportunities for yourself. Be mindful of what words you use when talking about others- even if they’re not present- because those words will come back around at some point.
4) Be patient
Love is a verb, not a feeling. We are often told that love is the most powerful force in the universe, but how can we use it? The key is love without expectation. Here are 10 ways you can show love to others while expecting nothing in return:
1) Help someone pick up their groceries when they dropped them. 2) Give your friend an encouraging text when they’re having a rough day. 3) Let someone cut you off in traffic just this once and don’t retaliate with anger or road rage. 4) Give your waiter or waitress an extra tip because you didn’t have to wait for your order.
5) Give generously
Many times we show love by giving gifts, compliments, or time. These are all great ways to love and serve others. But there are also more subtle ways that don’t require a lot of effort on our part, but can have a big impact on someone else’s day:
- Smile at someone who looks like they need it. It can make their day!
- Send an encouraging text message to your best friend. – Offer your seat on the bus or train to someone who might need it more than you do. – Invite someone new into your circle of friends with no expectations for anything other than friendship in return.
It can be hard to love and serve others without wanting anything in return, but we can all try. Here are 10 ways you can start today:
- Forgive someone who has hurt you. Forgiveness is an act of love that will free up your heart. 2. Smile at a stranger today (or every day). A simple smile can change someone’s entire day for the better! 3. Listen attentively when someone talks to you about their problems or concerns. Paying attention is another form of love that needs no reciprocation from the other person. 4. Give away your time, talent, or treasure generously without wanting anything in return.
7) Speak kindly
Speak kindly. Say only what you need to say, when you need to say it. Don’t be a braggart or a bully. Be truthful, but don’t tell all of the truth- parts of your life are yours alone.
8) Offer words of encouragement
- Give without expecting anything in return.
- Smile at people you pass on the street, or when you answer the phone.
- Pay for someone’s coffee without them knowing it’s you that paid for it.
- Send a card or letter to someone who needs encouragement, just because they need it.
9) Pray for others
Pray for others by thinking about their needs, praying for them, and reaching out. It doesn’t matter how you pray or who you pray for as long as you are praying. You can also pray on your own behalf by asking God to give you what you need. The act of prayer is a form of love and service because it focuses on the spiritual well-being of someone else.
- Smile at the person sitting next to you on the bus.
- Be kind when someone cuts you off on the highway.
- Send a text message of encouragement to someone who may be going through a tough time.
- Give your seat up for an elderly person who needs it more than you do, even if you were there first.