Here’s what you need to know to keep the momentum going and keep your business growing.
If you think the sale ends when you close on that big deal, you’re not alone. That’s exactly what I used to think when I was getting started in sales! After all, the prospect took the bait and said yes – right? And then reality set in … Suddenly, your prospect no longer answers their phone calls or emails – they don’t return your messages and they’ve gone radio silent.
Immediately following up with your new customer
After the sale, follow up with your customer as soon as possible. It’s a great way to prove that you care about their satisfaction and show them that they can trust you for future purchases. Plus, it ensures that they don’t forget about your product or service even after they have received it! The easiest way to do this is by sending an email within 24 hours of purchase asking if they are satisfied with their purchase, providing them with a discount on their next order (if applicable) and thanking them again for choosing you. You may also consider including a small gift in the package such as a branded t-shirt or water bottle!
The importance of a thank you
A simple Thank You after a successful transaction can do wonders for both the customer and your brand! It helps to seal the deal in their mind, especially if they don’t feel totally confident in their purchase decision. A personal touch can help them feel like they made a great decision, as well as give them a sense of how much you care about your customers.
A heartfelt thank-you email or handwritten card also offers customers an opportunity for further interaction with you and has been shown to increase customer loyalty by up to 20%. However, even if it feels uncomfortable or unnatural at first, with practice it will become second nature and could go a long way in helping establish your brand identity and solidify future relationships with current or potential clients.
How to properly collect feedback
When your customer has completed their purchase, don’t forget to ask for feedback. Feedback can help reveal valuable insights about how customers feel about a product or service, as well as teach you how to better serve them in the future. Plus, it’s an opportunity for customers who are happy with their purchase to share their satisfaction with others!
1) Send a survey
2) Ask for feedback on social media
3) Ask on email receipt
4) Stay in touch with them over time
Tips for continuing the relationship after the sale
- Send a thank-you note or gift card for their purchase, especially if it was a big one.
- Offer special discounts or promotions for existing customers only.
- Invite them to join your email list so they can be in the loop about new products or deals.
- Consider giving them a referral bonus if they share with friends who buy something from your store too!
- Follow up with them in 30 days (or whatever lead time you have) via phone, email, or even an old fashioned paper letter telling them how excited you are that they purchased from you and thanking them again!