The first rule of kindness is to be kind to yourself
It’s important to show kindness to other people, but it’s equally important to be kind to yourself. That may sound like an easy task at first, but many people have a habit of beating themselves up when things go wrong, forgetting to give themselves credit when they succeed and constantly feeling unhappy with their own traits and personality traits. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways you can be kind to yourself that only take a moment or two, so they can become part of your daily routine.
Why being kind to yourself is so important
We often forget that one of the most important ways we can be kind to others is by being kind to ourselves. When we are not kind to ourselves, it’s hard for us to be kind and compassionate with others. The opposite can also be true; when we are kind and compassionate with ourselves, it’s easier for us to extend that same kindness and compassion outward.
Self-love can come in many forms – from self-kind words, such as I love you or you’re doing great, to self-care practices like meditation or journaling. Self-love doesn’t need any reason or justification – just like the love you have for your friends and family members. Love yourself unconditionally the way you love other people unconditionally, too.
How to start being more self-compassionate
- Set a timer for 10 minutes. Lie down on your bed, or any other comfortable place where you can be undisturbed and unplugged. Close your eyes and take some deep breaths to calm your mind.
- Think back over the past week, month, or year and pick one incident in which you were genuinely kind to yourself. Write it down in as much detail as possible- where you were when it happened, what was going on at the time, who else was around and how they reacted if they saw what happened- everything that comes up for you when you think about it.
The benefits of being kind to yourself
Sometimes life gets hard. Maybe you’re going through a break up, or you have a family member in the hospital, or your job’s just not what you thought it would be. In those times, it can be really easy to feel like you don’t deserve any kindness at all. But that’s just wrong! The first rule of kindness is to be kind to yourself.
Tips for being kinder to yourself every day
- Start your day off on the right foot with a nutritious breakfast or healthy smoothie.
- Get outside for at least 10 minutes every day, even if it’s just to sit on your front porch and read the paper with your coffee in hand.
- Take time each night before you go to bed to set your thoughts and intentions for the next day.
- Take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, eating well and exercising regularly so that you’re able to enjoy what you do!
- Speak kindly about yourself when talking with others- this will help them understand how amazing you are!
Add a Comment